The Corrupt Practices and Other Related Offences Act 2000 was signed into law on 13th June 2000 and the Independent Corrupt Practices and Other Related Offences Commission (ICPC) was established on 29th September 2000.
As part of activities to mark the 20th Anniversary of the Commission, the Commission organized a series of events tagged “₦20 million from ICPC at 20” during which the sum of ₦20 million was given to winners of the following special activities:
- A National Music Competition for the Youth (15 – 29 years);
- An Essay Competition for students of Secondary Schools with ICPC Anti-Corruption Clubs and EFCC Integrity Clubs (public and private);
- Integrity Awards to be presented to 2 deserving Federal Public/Civil Servants
The Anniversary Website
National Music Competition
For the National Music competition, members of the public registered and submitted a video (30 – 60 seconds) singing to an Anti-Corruption theme of choice.
The Platform enabled:
- Registration of Users
- Upload of 30 – 60 seconds Video
- First Review of the submitted video entries by a panel of judges (musicians) – producing the top 100 videos
- Second Review of the Top 100 videos by another panel of musical judges producing the top 10.
- Social Media Voting – Users could vote via Twitter and Facebook
The Top 3 winners were then selected.
National Essay Competition
The platform allowed the submission (upload) of essay competitions from students.
This project met and exceeded expectations. Transparency was key and maintained throughout this project.